Have I mentioned that I love smoothies? Yes, I love smoothies. But I sometimes find myself in a rut, especially as the weather gets colder and good seasonal fruit becomes harder to come by. At this time of year, I’m usually using a lot of bananas, pumpkins, and fruits from the freezer for my daily shot of blended goodness. During my most recent visit to the farmer’s market, though, and unusual fruit caught my eye. It was a persimmon and I was immediately drawn to the beautiful toasty orange color.
Now, I had never actually eaten a persimmon and wasn’t really sure about what kind of taste to expect. Having had one now, I think I would say that the flavor is most closely related to an apricot but less sweet. The next thing I wanted to know was how I could incorporate it into a smoothie that would highlight its delicate favor. Maybe some coconut and ginger? Yes and yes.
Persimmon and Coconut Smoothie
– 1/2 large banana or one small banana
– 1 ripe persimmon
– 3 TBS coconut milk (the more concentrated from-a-can kind, not the milk substitute)
– 1/4 cup greek yogurt
– generous pinch ginger
– extra water, if necessary to achieve desired consistency
– a few handfuls of spinach (optional)
Blend in the blender until smooth and enjoy! Here’s what you’ll get it you’re shy about using greens in your smoothies.
And here it is if you like to sneak in the leafy greens like I do🙂
* This recipe is included in this week’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, the Hearth and Soul Hop at Premeditated Leftovers, Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Gluten-Free Wednesday at Gluten-Free Homemaker, Healthy 2day Wednesdays at day2day joys, the Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways Wednesday bloghop, and Simple Lives Thursdays at GNOWGGLINS.