This recipe is easy peasy, but I think you’ll be surprised at how happy it will make you. It’s my new favorite way to eat oatmeal and, as far as I’m concerned, it needs no extra sweetness beyond what’s provided by the blueberries. The trick is to be generous with the fruit and to allow it to cook and soften into the oats. Check your lips for blueberry stains that suspiciously resemble wine stains before heading out the door for work. Just sayin’.
Last night, Jeremy and I celebrated our anniversary with dinner at a fancy french restaurant (ooh la la), dessert at one of our favorite neighborhood spots, and roses. It was a good night and a nice way to launch into the week. I hope you all had equally lovely weekends!
Blueberry Flax Oatmeal
– 1/4 cup steel cut oats, soaked overnight at room temperature (or you could just start with rolled oats in the morning)
– 1 cup frozen blueberries
– 1/2 – 3/4 cup coconut milk (or your favorite type of milk)
– 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
1. If you soaked your oats overnight, rinse them off and add to a small saucepan with coconut milk.
2. Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. After oats seem to be well-softened, add blueberries. Cook for another 5 minutes or so, until blueberries are cooked through and soft.
3. Pour into a bowl and top with flax seed.