Today is World Gratitude Day and a good time to reflect on all that I have to be thankful for. I think it would be impossible for me to make a complete “gratitude list” since I have so many wonderful things in my life. That being said, in day-to-day life it can be all too easy to focus on the negative and forget all the wonderful blessings I enjoy daily. So here it is, my first attempt at a list of things to be grateful for:
1. The amazing people in my life, including but not limited to my boyfriend, my family, my friends, and my dog.
2. My apartment. I love it.
3. My neighborhood. It’s a hip, happenin’ place but easy to live in at the same time. And we have cool neighbors!
4. My city. I know I like to complain about Portland but it’s actually a pretty great place to live. Aside from the weather. But I’m not going to let that get me down this winter, especially since I’ll probably be moving in a year or so.
5. My body. It works, it’s healthy, and it takes me places.
6. Food. ‘Nuff said.
7. The nursing career I’m training for. My nursing program is A LOT of work, but I’m so glad that I’m going to a well-regarded school to begin a career that will be so fulfilling!
8. Freedom from want. It’s hard to remember this sometimes, but I have everything I need. Money might be tight and I might joke about being a “poor student” but I have a great place to live, plenty of good quality food, and a little left-over for fun. Sure, I might be clipping coupons and deciding that last year’s clothes are good enough for this year but are those really such hardships? Nope, they just make me enjoy the little luxuries even more.
So that’s my (incomplete) list. I’m sure I’ll be thinking of things I should have added for the rest of the day!