This dish is all about the sauce. I bookmarked the recipe quite a while ago from the fabulous Oh She Glows website and made it for a quick dinner last week. Of course, I love recipe substitutions and ended up using quinoa in place of speltberries and mung beans in place of lentils. But the sauce? The sauce I didn’t tinker with and I’m glad I didn’t. I’m not sure it could be improved upon. It’s healthy and zesty and should complement just about any combination of grains, legumes, and veggies that you choose to use. This is a great meal for using up the odds and ends in your pantry/fridge…just take my advice and don’t mess with the sauce! :)
Goddess Bowl with Tahini-Lemon Dressing
adapted from Oh She Glows
For the bowl:
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup mung beans, cooked
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini (I like roasted sesame tahini better than raw)
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (plus a little more if you love the stuff like I do)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp water, as needed to get a good consistency
1. Make the dressing. Put all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. That’s it!
2. You can make the quinoa and beans ahead of time if you’d like. Or just start those simmering in separate pots and cook according to package directions. Start chopping those veggies while you wait.
3. In a large pot, heat the 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add bell pepper and tomato and cook for about another 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the kale and cook until softened. Now you can add the quinoa, beans and sauce. Simmer until everything is nice and hot. Add some extra salt, if desired.