Hello, Friday! I am so glad you’ve finally come. This has been an incredibly busy week and I’ve been looking forward to seeing you since…oh…Sunday night. You sure took your sweet time. Luckily for me, this week I found a fabulously quick and simple meal that supplied plenty of leftovers for pack-and-go lunches. Spiced, roasted broccoli with briny and savory shrimp and chewy brown rice…I guess it hasn’t been such a tough week after all!
I decided to make this recipe after hearing it mentioned on a recent Spilled Milk podcast (thanks for the recommendation, Katie!) One of the wonderful things about it is that it dirties very few dishes and doesn’t require a big trip to the grocery store. In fact, I had all the ingredients on hand except for the broccoli and shrimp! In the end, you get such a great payoff for minimal time, energy, and money. Win, win, win.
Now I think I’m going to go blow that money I saved on a good dinner out for me and Jeremy. Because it’s Friday!
Melissa Clark’s Roasted Broccoli with Shrimp
adapted from The Wednesday Chef
- 2 pounds broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 Tbsp EVOO, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- zest from 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Toss broccoli with 3 Tbsp olive oil, spices, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Spread on a large baking dish and roast for 10 minutes.
2. While broccoli is roasting, toss shrimp with remaining 1Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt and lemon zest. When broccoli has been roasting for 10 minutes, add shrimp and roast for another 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
3. Serve with brown rice or accompaniment of choice.