Just last week, I noticed the first cherry tomatoes and summer squashes in the farmer’s market. We had a cool spring and so it seems that everything has been a bit delayed. Now that summer is in full swing and I’m beginning to wonder just how we are supposed to survive without air conditioning, the local tomatoes and squashes have decided to grace us with their presence. In another month, we’ll probably have more than we can handle. For now, they still feel like a treasure.
I baked them into a savory crumble (although the vegetables’ natural sweetness also shone through) and we enjoyed it on our patio with tuna melts.
Later that night we went to a CD release show for a local band, Monarques (they are amazing!), and then met some friends at our favorite late-night spot. Yup, summer.
What signals the arrival of summer in your world?
Cherry Tomato and Yellow Squash Crumble
makes 6 servings
adapted from Vegetarian Times Magazine, July 2012
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (use gluten-free if you like)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 lb small yellow squash, diced
- 1 generous pint (about 3/4 lb) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs and parsley together. Melt butter in a skillet over low heat and pour a little more than half of it over the breadcrumbs, leaving enough in the pan to sauté vegetables. Mix butter into breadcrumbs.
Add onion to skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in squash and cook another 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook about 2 more minutes. Season with salt.
Transfer mixture to a 9-inch square or equivalent baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and then evenly sprinkle breadcrumbs over everything. Bake 25-30 minutes until top is lightly browned. Serve hot.
- Halibut with Cherry Tomatoes, Squash and Basil, en Papillote (chocolateandchiles.wordpress.com)
- heirloom and cherry tomatoes with peach-basil vinaigrette (daisysworld.net)
- Baked Goats Cheese and Cherry Tomato Tart (pravings.com)